Wednesday, June 14, 2006

california proposition 82

I was disappointed that proposition 82 was crushed with a 61% no vote. Universal preschool is a huge step towards equality of opportunity. It is largely agreed upon that those years play a major role in how a child will develop. I was lucky, my mother's work paid for my preschool education and I learned to read when I was 3, haven't stopped loving it since. If, however, we weren't able to pay and I had to wait until kindergarten or elementary school to learn, behind much of the rest of the class, I imagine it would be frustrating and I wouldn't enjoy it as much. Then again, I was a stubborn kid...but still! Not to mention, it sets a foundation to learn how to learn, rather than taking the time to adjust once a child reaches school age, and starting off on the wrong foot. This was a small tax on individuals earning more than $200,000, and couples earning more than $400,000. Of course the leaders of the two major parties are rich bastards, and the Dems started selling this idea that the money needs to go to K-12...true, they need money, but this isn't taking the money away...this is a separate, new tax. Voting this down sends the message to legislators that California cares more about the rich keeping their money than education, so good luck getting a new measure out to give K-12 education more money!

1 comment:

Roland Dodds said...

I agree that having universal preschool care is a reasonable goal, and one I could personally consider supporting with tax dollars, but the idea of yet another new tax is kind of a turn off. Even when I know that my economic bracket won’t be used to create this money….I still think we have too many taxes in California…But what do I know.