Friday, December 08, 2006

update

Yes, there has been a long gap between posts. The past month has been ridiculously busy, with additions such as a friend crashing in my living room (apparently breaking up with your girlfriend when you live together is complicated...who knew?), ridiculously tedious post-labs, work pushing me to full time (plus farmers markets), missed protests (damned misinformation), Thanksgiving at home (thank god for Leo to keep my sanity), and relationship woes (fortunately not mine, unfortunately from people who like to whine for hours about them).

But I figured I'd make sure everyone knew I was still alive. So here's my time to complain...about my favorite customer of the day.

A woman in line steps up to the counter, while I'm helping somebody else. I can tell by the snotty look and upturned nose that she thinks she owns everything. Likely not helped by clearly expensive designer coat, indicative of wealth. She is clearly impatient, and in order to get her out of the store as quickly as I can, I ask her what she would like while the customer in front of her is gathering his things. "One levain," she says, much like one would expect a patrician to order a plebian in ancient Rome...yet I had to gleefully note to myself that she had mispronounced "levain." I ring her up and put the bread on the counter. It was quite easily in her reach, certainly a tad closer to me, but right where one would expect a cashier to put down something when they are helping two customers with a line out of the door. I say, "have a nice day," and in an even snootier, more condescending way than before she says "MY BREAD?" I almost slipped. I was very close to asking "do you have arms?" Luckily the brain-mouth filter picked it up just in time.

4 comments:

Deadman said...

What a bitch. I used to have to deal with the public in a similar setting.

I'd find subtle ways of getting even.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Megafauna-welcome back. We've missed you.
Sorry about the mis-communication. Good rule of thumb to keep in mind: As anarcho-zionists, if the established Jewish community tells us NOT to do something, its very likely we are going to do it anyway.
And I've moved up to 26 on the evil scale.

charismatic megafauna said...

I've got to wonder what moved our dear, innocent Tia up to a 26, and if she will ever move up and match the evil of the next generation.

Anonymous said...

"if she will ever move up and match the evil of the next generation. "

Hmmm. Shall I take that as a personal challenge?
Our dear friend Nessie from Indymedia infamy is planning his bookfair again. Same time, same place, same conflict with the dying embers of ANSWER. We should plan a special surprise for him- you know he misses us dearly.