Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Gun Control

Growing up in the Bay Area, I was indoctrinated into following just about every part of the liberal dogma. It was just about impossible to disagree without being called a "facist." One issue that I didn't think about very much was gun control. It seemed very simple, guns=killing=bad. Gun control=no killing=good. Right?

Wrong. As I grew older, I began to realize the flaws in my logic. There were two major components to my change in opinion:

1. Gun control and violent crime
Wrong, very wrong. The people who are determined to use guns for crime are going to get them no matter what...lets just face that fact. With high gun control, law abiding citizens are less likely to own guns, and when they are put in danger by those who have not followed these laws, they are often rendered defenseless.

The immediate aftermath of Hurricaine Katrina opened my eyes even more. I thought, "what if a natural disaster happened where I live?" Would I, like many who were in New Orleans, have food and necessary supplies stolen at gunpoint? How would I be able to defend myself and my family? If I were in San Francisco (which will likely be hit by an earthquake of enormous magnitude in the next 25 years), given the recent gun ban, I would be up shit's creek without a paddle.

2. Bill of Rights
I'm scared of the Bill of Rights being muddled in ANY way whatsoever. The second that the Second Amendment is messed with on a federal level, politicians are able to justify taking away other civil liberties (ie in the Patriot Act, the wire tapping scandal).

Also, we must look at the reason that the Second Amendment was written...these were those who fought in the Revolutionary War, and who experienced firsthand the consequences of not being able to defend oneself against the government. If our government does take an extreme turn for the worst, and we find the need to oust it, we'd likely need weapons. At this point, I'd only advocate reform of the existing system, but hey, who can truly predict the future?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whoa.

Your liberal buddies have a done a damn good job of stigmatizing gun owners as crazy wackos.

Seriously, people who are afraid of guns will be afraid of you if you own one.

Also, didn't you hear that the national guard replaced the militia in 1904 and that the right to keep and bear 'arms' also means nuclear weapons and stinger missiles if interpreted literally?

(psst if you trust yourself enough to own a gun, don't tell your liberal buddies about it)