Tuesday, July 04, 2006

it's not easy being green

Happy Fourth of July to everyone!

I've been wondering what it means to be a green. I've met people that identify as greens, but aren't registered. I've met many that say that they were "green before there was a party." Not many people would say "I'm a democrat" or "I'm a republican" if they haven't registered. Maybe there are some libertarians in this conundrum as well...it is a political philosophy. Same with the greens.

http://www.cagreens.org/platform/10k.htm

That's what it means. Some might be strange or redundant, but others are truly key...nonviolence (when possible, at least...), decentralization and grassroots democracy (as opposed to this neoconservative method of centralizing everything...seems some dems have the same views...we need to have this be a government by and for the people), environmentalism (how could you not be?), and social justice...this is separate from personal responsibility, because given that the purpose of the government is to protect the interests of the people, it must ensure that there is social justice...often in the form of government services. This is probably where we break off from libertarians...while decentralization often provides that laws regarding personal choices that don't affect others are not prevalent, this is not the case in ensuring broader social justice. Lets not be naive...personal responisibility isn't gonna cut it. And that's the governments place to step in, to protect individuals from larger entities. Those crimes could be equated to theft. I can't begin to describe how frustrating it is that the Enron guys will get off with less than someone who steals electronics from a store. I guess it's sad that I have a lack of faith in humanity, but that's just life.

Still, to be a real green, you should at least register...show support and grow the party. And registering democrat or republican, which are pro-war corporate parties...I just can't see how that's possible.

1 comment:

Roland Dodds said...

Nice post. I was a Green Party member for a few years around the 2000 and 2002 elections. In fact, I worked on the Ralph Nader campaign.
I may not be a member anymore, but there are still some very important issues that the Green Party and I see eye to eye on.