Monday, September 11, 2006

Today started out as usual. Well, the kitten woke me up at 6 in the morning to play, which was cute but not particularly exciting when you were going to sleep till 7:45, and needed every hour of that sleep...but nothing out of the ordinary. Got up, showered, grabbed a breakfast bar for the road, and biked to work.

A few hours into my work day, I walked to the back and heard an NPR reporter talking about 9/11. Which is fairly common, so I thought nothing of it...unitl I heard the words repeated about a dozen times.

And I finally remembered that it's the fifth anniversary of the attacks.

I had forgotten.

Truthfully, it doesn't surprise me all that much. I remembered on that day, my entire class was rattled and wanted to talk about it at every moment. I separated myself from all the talk. I don't quite know why, but it just didn't hold my interest. Sure, it rattled me a tiny bit, but it didn't touch me. I don't quite know why. Of course I was upset for all the lives lost, but no more so than for any other tragedy. Maybe because it happened in New York, a place which I've never even been to...I feel more connected to Israel. I've never felt strongly tied to being american, so that didn't do anything for me. Maybe it's because I'm terrible at internalizing tragic events...sure, when I'm scared of them, I'm stressed to a ridiculous point, but once they've happened...I suppose I just move on. Who knows. Anyway, I wasn't touched by what happened enough for me to feel comfortable about further discussion or introspection about the event. It'd feel fake.

I guess that makes me a pretty bad human. I can't help longing for half the humanity displayed by this

1 comment:

Deadman said...

I'm not sure what to say....