Thursday, January 18, 2007

NARAL campaign needs your help

Disturbingly enough, in some places, abstinence only education is still around. I'm still trying to figure out how someone could possibly think that a teenager's teacher telling them about such things would encourage them to have sex. I vividly remember being disgusted by my seventh grade teacher teaching us what oral sex was. And the pictures...stds that look like cauliflowers...well, let's just say that I'll be scared for life. Good job, bay area public school!

http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/choice-action-center/take-action/sex-ed-curriculum.html
Here’s how you can help:

1. Request a copy of your school’s curriculum. Whether you are a parent, student, or a community member, as a tax-paying citizen you have a right to know what your public schools are teaching.

a. Call your school’s superintendent’s office. Request that they mail you a copy of the sex-education curriculum. Here’s a sample script to use:

“Hello, my name is _____ and I’m a parent/student/community member in [your town]. I’m researching sex-education programs in our area and I’d like to request a copy of our school district’s sex-education curriculum.”

b. If you don’t reach your superintendent, you can contact principals, health teachers, school board members, or any other school administrator and pose the same question.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.