Monday, January 22, 2007

On vegetarianism

Once in awhile I feel the need to review some of the basics of my lifestyle. A recent questioning of my dietary decisions at work and a roommate hastily turning to veganism (which likely isn't going to last, as it's halfhearted), and a cooking binge made me review my vegetarianism.

Actually, I'm not a vegetarian. I eat fish (but only the kosher kind). This apparently makes me a pescetarian, whatever that's supposed to mean. I was raised a meat eater. It never made sense to me. I always felt ridiculously guilty eating meat. After all, if I wouldn't want to kill an animal myself, it was probably for a good reason. However, I accepted the way I was raised and assumed that meat was necessary.

In the summer before tenth grade I worked for the conservation corps. It was there that I first remember being exposed to vegetarianism...I was in the fake hot dog line for kashrut reasons. Talking to vegetarians made me realize that it was possible...for a few months I filed the information away, then I went veg. Full out, no fish. And a couple years later, due partly to the urging of my mother, partly to research on fish-exclusive omega fatty acids, and probably partly to the deliciousness of lox, I went back to eating fish.

They say you are what you eat. I'm largely chocolate. But it is true that when I eat well (healthfully), I feel much better. I've been using a cookbook that I absolutely love, Jump Up and Kiss Me: Spicy Vegetarian Cooking, by Jennifer Trainer Thompson.

Anyway, it's a lifestyle decision that I feel strongly about. I don't go around preaching (though I'll be honest if asked), but I will say this: Do you really want to be directly responsible for the death of an animal you've been around? Having worked a good deal with goats, I'll bet they're smarter (and cooler) than your household pets...ok, that was low...but they're awesome. Same goes for many other animals. So why is it any better to pay for a bunch?

All of this is ignoring another huge reason

Of course, that makes me feel guilty for not being a vegan. I try to be careful about where I get my eggs and milk, but beyond that, it's hard. I could never be a vegan without seriously putting my health in danger. I don't have the time or money...and truthfully probably not the willpower. It's all about the extent of which you can do something...it's impossible to be perfect. But, I ought to push myself. I think I may stop eating fish, and maybe a vegan day a week? Hard to say. Such things take much thought (and support always helps, too) to stick to.

If you're feeling guilty, maybe it's time to do some reflection, find internal inconsistencies, and do what's possible to remedy them. If you're not, good for you.

And no, I am not procrastinating on studying...

No comments: